A federal judge in Minnesota District Court has granted a temporary restraining order requested by Prince’s estate and his recording studio Paisley Park, to halt the released of a new EP of previously unreleased Prince material.
George Ian Boxill, an engineer who worked with Prince over the years, was set to release the six-song EP on Friday, but the singer’s estate filed suit in Carver County, Minnesota, seeking to stop the release and have the masters turned over to them.
On Thursday, Judge Wilhelmina M. Wright granted the order to block the music. Boxill also was ordered to deliver all copies of recordings “cquired through his work with Paisley Park Enterprises” to the estate, according to the paperwork obtained by ABC News.
The ruling relies on a confidentiality agreement that Prince and Boxill allegedly agreed upon before working together, that stated all the work the two did together “would remain Prince’s sole and exclusive property” and that “he would not use any recordings or property in any way whatsoever.”
The restraining order is set to expire on May 3.
The EP Boxill has assembled, titled Deliverance, includes the title track and a four-song suite called “Opera Man” that includes songs titled “I Am,” “Touch Me,” “Sunrise Sunset” and “No One Else.”
In a statement Thursday afternoon, Matthew Wilson, an attorney for RMA, the Vancouver-based label seeking to release the EP, said the album’s title track, released on SoundCloud earlier this week, will remain available.
“The Federal Court located in Minnesota has temporarily enjoined the release of the remaining unreleased tracks on the Deliverance EP,” he said. “The court order has not enjoined the released single “Deliverance.” Therefore the “Deliverance” single will continue to be sold.”
RMA is offering the single on a new website, www.deliverance.is
Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
Source: Oldies News