Tom Petty‘s family has revealed that the rock legend died of an accidental drug overdose. A joint statement from Tom’s widow Dana and daughter Adria posted on his official website and social media pages reports that the medical examiner informed them Friday morning that Petty’s death was due to an overdose “as a result of taking a variety of medications.”
The message explains, “Unfortunately Tom’s body suffered from many serious ailments including emphysema, knee problems and most significantly a fractured hip. Despite this painful injury he insisted on keeping his commitment to his fans and he toured for 53 dates with a fractured hip and, as he did, it worsened to a more serious injury. On the day he died he was informed his hip had graduated to a full on break and it is our feeling that the pain was simply unbearable and was the cause for his over use of medication.”
Dana and Adria also point out that, prior to being informed of the medical examiner’s findings, the family was aware that Tom had been prescribed various pain medications — including Fentanyl patches — for his health issues, and they “feel confident” that his passing was indeed “an unfortunate accident.”
The Petty family notes that Tom’s cause of death likely will prompt “a further discussion on the opioid crisis and we feel that it is a healthy and necessary discussion and we hope in some way this report can save lives.”
Dana and Adria add, “On a positive note we now know for certain he went painlessly and beautifully exhausted after doing what he loved the most, for one last time, performing live with his unmatchable rock band for his loyal fans.
Petty died October 2, 2017, a week after he and The Heartbreakers finished their 40th anniversary tour.
Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
Source: Oldies News